Monday, July 13, 2015

Olana Plein Air Event

The Olana Plein Air Paint -Out and Auction is a wonderful event that brings attention to this historic home and the surrounding landscape.  This is my fourth year as a selected participant and I was glad to be out of my studio creating paintings in the beautiful Hudson Valley.
This is the spot and subject I painted on the first day, which was overcast and grey with periods of light rain.  Only once did some blue sky show through so I recorded the color and shadows quickly.







Here's the finished painting,
" OLANA PAIR"






Day two of painting was sunny and warm so I was able to stand in the field and create this painting of the barn.  The shadows were stark and long, while clouds dotted the sky above.  I loved the color contrast of my sepia underpainting of the clouds  against the blue sky...so I kept it.  It made for a moody work which was purchased by the new president of The Olana Partnership!


The finished painting,
"OLANA BARN"




No comments: